Writing task 1 Table with sample answer
IELTS Writing task 1 Table with sample answer
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task
The table below gives information about rail transport in four countries in 2007.
Summaries the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make
comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words
Follow plan below
* Rephrase the introduction given above already. (paragraph one)
* Write about America which is (second paragraph)
– having least rail users 0.3
– travel lesser 80
– but carry the most Cargo.
* Write about Japan compare figures with America in the same paragraph (second paragraph continued)
– better in rail using and kilometers
– bit below than America in cargo
* Write about UK and Italy (third paragraph)
– similarities between UK and Italy
– have almost same figure in all.
Write short summary
– USA use least transport
– USA transport most cargo
Sample Answer :
The table shows details for four countries concerning the percentage of the population who use the railways, how many kilometers each person travels on average, and the number of tons of cargo the railways carry.
What is surprising is that very few Americans use rail – less than half of one percent – and they do not travel far(just 80 kilometers). However, the USA carries by far the most cargo, nearly 3 thousand billions tons. This contrasts greatly with Japan, where 27% of the population use rail, and they each travel further (1,980 kilometers) than any of the other countries. On the other hand, less than 25 billion tons of freight is carried.
The two countries which are most similar are the UK and Italy. Both have between 5 and 6 % of people who use trains, they travel between 770 and 780 kilometers and the amount of freight is approximately the same (22.2 and 21.9 billion tons respectively).
In general it can be seen that while citizens of the USA use rail transport the least, they transport they transport the most amount of cargo by rail.